Cal Grant

Updated December 2016

This financial aid initiative of the State of California and the California Student Aid Commission provides graduating high school seniors with funds for attending a college or technical school that do not need to be repaid. Various grant types are available to students who meet academic, financial, and eligibility requirements based on responses in their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

  • Cal Grant A Entitlement awards are for recent high school graduates and can be used for tuition and fees at public and private colleges and universities. 
  • Cal Grant B Entitlement awards provide first-year, low-income students with an allowance of up to $1,648 for education-related books and living expenses.
  • Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs for occupational, technical, or vocational programs.

A Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement Award is also available for students who plan to transfer directly from a California Community College to a four-year university. Competitive awards for all grants are available, but limited, for students that do not meet entitlement award requirements.

Resources: Overview